Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Karate

I don't know if I have ever mentioned it before that I take karate. My uncle was my teacher for a few months, but since he moved back to New York (Rebecca is his daughter) my class had to get a new teacher. There was also a new student today and I got partnered up with her. Her name is Alex and she's a year older than I am and a little more advanced in karate. I held the punching bag thing-y and held my breath like I always do for fear of getting kicked.
Everything was going great so far. Alex had very good coordination and accuracy. I was starting to have fun since I wasn't near as worried as usual about my partner missing.
I don't really know what happened next. Alex claimed I moved my hand, but I'm certain I did not. She missed and fell over backwards (that's when I lowered my hand).
I've never been so scared before when she jumped up and shoved me in the stomach. She kept calling me names I'd rather not repeat and threatening to choke me. I was afraid to yell for the new teacher since I didn't know him. Luckily he did notice, but he only mildly told Alex to behave and it was time to switch partners.
I just wanted the class to end and barely put any effort into my kicks and punches. Now the teacher thinks I'm lazy and not very good. But I don't really care about that right now. JJ's dad picked me up along with Kit and his son. (He coaches his son's baseball team which practices right after Kit's team. Kit stays and helps the little kids).

I started to tell Kit what happened when Alex stormed over.
"Who's the little punk boy?" she demanded. Okay, seriously the girl has her knickers in a twist or something and apparently Kit looks like a boy when her hair is in a ponytail and she's wearing a baseball uniform. I mumbled that she was my sister Kit. Alex shoved Kit in the shoulder and I grew defensive and shoved her. She tackled me down, but we were quickly stopped by JJ's dad.

I had to tell JJ's dad everything on the ride to his house. He reminded me to tell the teacher immediately if it happened again. I promised I would and he said he would stay during the next class if I wanted him to. JJ is so lucky to have such a great father!

I was super glad to see JJ and told my story again to her. I felt better after talking about the fight again. But I'm not very excited to go to class next Friday.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that JJ's father was around! That must have been scary...sadly, I know what those situations are like too well. I can understand just wanting ckass go end. If it progresses, I'd definitely make an effort to tell the instructor.
    Bonne chance!
    Bises,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like Alex has some severe anger issues!

    I think you should tell your teacher even if it doesn't happen again. Otherwise next time she may seriously hurt someone.

    Be careful, OK?

    Love,
    Felicity from The Green Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! I'm sorry that happened at karate. I think Sabine and Felicity are right. Maybe you should tell your teacher anyway. I think it's really cool that you know karate and I'm glad JJ is such a good friend! Talk to you soon!
    -Makennah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal at Karate class. Alex needed a more serious punishment and consequences than a mild reprimand. I hope tensions ease at your next class, and definitely alert the teacher if Alex or anyone else gets aggressive like that again.

    Hugs,
    Juliette

    ReplyDelete